Skip to content
These rustic potato loaves are so delicious and will make your kitchen smell amazing! Perfect on their own or with soup.
Rustic Potato Loaves [Vegan]
- 4 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium size potatoes (Boiled, cooled and mashed)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup warm water plus a little more (reserve water from boiling potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano or mixed herbs or fresh herbs of your choice
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add mashed potatoes, oil and salt. Add flour 1 cup at a time. Knead well. Keep adding water if required. The dough will feel dry initially but will come together soon. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes till supple, soft and slightly sticky but not wet.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. It may not double in size, but will rise noticeably.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Punch lightly and cut the dough into two equal halves. Take one half, flatten, start rolling from one end until almost to the other end, stretch gently, dust its edges with flour and finish rolling. Roll back and forth to taper the ends. Repeat with the other piece.
- Place dough on a parchment paper, seam side down. Cover with a kitchen towel, leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- Before placing the baking tray in the oven, throw three ice cubes onto the ovens flour, shut the door.
- Roll the dough onto greased baking tray carefully, seam side up. Slide in the baking tray.
- Throw in some more ice cubes. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or till the loaves turn golden brown.
- Turn the loaves so that they are evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the rack.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh
- press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection